For those readers who are not familiar with Edgar Cayce, I will give you a very brief history of the man regarded by many as America's greatest mystic. Edgar Cayce was born in rural Kentucky on March 18, 1877, and passed on in Virginia Beach, Virginia on January 3, 1945. He gave over 15,000 psychic readings in a coma-like trance state and there are copies of over 14,000 of these readings at his Association For Research And Enlightenment, or A.R.E. for short, in Virginia Beach. Approximately 10,000 of these readings were medical readings where in his deep-trance state he diagnosed medical problems and prescribed remedies, including prescriptions which had not yet been invented. Many of these patients who received medical readings had been classified as hopeless by their medical practitioners and had come to Edgar Cayce as a last resort. Over 300 books have been written about Edgar Cayce and his readings, including at least 12 biographies. For more information on Edgar Cayce you should visit the A.R.E. website at www.edgarcayce.org. If you would like to read the article that made Edgar Cayce a national celebrity, go to:
or you can read it on the Edgar Cayce website at
The date was July 1, 1934. The setting was Virginia Beach, at the residence of the legendary American mystic, Edgar Cayce. The special occasion was the Third Annual Meeting, which they referred to as a Congress, of the Association For Research And Enlightenment. Over 50 members were present. At each annual meeting, after the business affairs had been dispensed with, Edgar would enter his deep-trance state and give a reading on a topic chosen by the membership. Much of reading 5752-6 is reproduced below. Similar to the Bible, paragraphs in readings have been assigned a number, which I do not delete. Items in the brackets [DS: ... ] have been inserted by me for clarification purposes.
"1. GC [DS: She was Gertrude Cayce, Edgar's wife. Gertrude acted as the conductor for the majority of Edgar's readings. The conductor served a crucial purpose, not only by asking the appropriate questions to elicit the desired answers, but also to prompt the in-trance Edgar at precisely the correct time as he descended deeper and deeper into trance. The reading conductors had learned through experience that there was an exceptionally narrow window-of-opportunity for the commencement of the instructions to Edgar as to the purpose of the upcoming reading. If they waited too long before giving the prompt to begin, Edgar would proceed into such a deep-trance state that he could not respond, and often remained in that deep-trance state for eight to twelve hours. No one could bring him back out of this extra-deep trance. He would eventually awake on his own, totally refreshed, as if he had enjoyed a wonderful night's sleep.]: You will give at this time a discourse on the Sources of Psychic Information.
2. EC [DS: Edgar Cayce, of course]: Yes, ... In giving that which may be helpful or beneficial to those that are gathered here, let there be first given that psychic is from without to the within - or the movement upon that which makes for responses with the individual as to make the individual aware of the fact that there is taking place that which produces a change, if the individual will be moved by same. Hence as life is spirit, spirit is God, the true source of psychic force must come from that which is OF that force that may make aware in the experience the individual, the soul, the fact of His presence abiding ever.
3. ... He is in thine own heart, and thy spirit beareth witness with His Spirit that ye are - or not - the children of God.
4. ... That there are then as many sources for the activity of the force that may make manifest the God-influence as there may be ideas or activities in the experience of any soul must be evidenced by the EXPERIENCES of all.
5. ... As to how such manifestations of psychic soul forces may manifest or become conscious to an individual, in the material world ye say it is through that which makes for awareness in thine own PARTICULAR realm of experience, or through thine senses; yea, through many more. For, as all force IS OF Him, as ye seek ye may know.
6. As to how, when and where that experience may be thine depends upon what, where and when ye look within; ...
7. Then, the source is FROM on High, if the seeking is from the soul within. ...
8. ... seekest thou that ye may lord thine self above thine brother, above thine neighbor, the answers come only from those sources, those souls that have forsaken His way.
9. ... Seek to know Him, and that thou receivest in thine experiences - as ye approach through all those channels that may attune themselves to the throne of grace - will be the knowledge and understanding that, "As ye do it unto the least of these, my little ones, ye do it unto me."
10. What seekest thou? The Spirit of Truth, or that thou may justify thyself in thine own carnal self? Each may be found. ...
11. What are the sources of psychic information? What seekest thou? What art THOU willing to give for thine own soul? ...
12. They that love His coming will only approach in such a way and manner that though the heavens fall, though the earth may pass away, His word, His promise in them shall NOT pass away. Only in such an attitude, such an understanding, may the Spirit of Truth come in unto thee. Seek ye not lower, if ye would FIND that which will bring rest unto thy soul!"
It seems apparent from this reading that true psychic abilities are not gifts from God, but are actually abilities earned through the progression of our souls through many incarnations where we have understood and followed the teachings of Jesus, the immaculately conceived son of God.
© Doug Simpson 2010.
Edgar Cayce Readings © 1971, 1993-2009 by the Edgar Cayce Foundation. Used by Permission, All Rights Reserved.
Doug Simpson is a retired high school teacher from Canada. Retirement has blessed him with the opportunity to pursue a second career as a writer and author. His article titled Jesus' Secret Healing appeared in the April-June 2010 edition of the A.R.E.'s Venture Inward Magazine, and another article titled The Reincarnation Of Martha Washington appeared in the September 2010 edition of Aquarius Magazine, under the title Reincarnation - Who Do We Come In With? Doug may be contacted at [email protected]
. His website is at http://dousimp.mnsi.net.
Submit Your Own Article